Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Metamorphous

Butterflies are color in motion. They have delicate movements, dramatic life cycles and a talent to survive. I watched in my butterfly conservatory as the tiny little eggs turned to multi-legged caterpillars that devoured food quickly and grew at a rate I would not like grow at myself. Then after a few weeks they wrapped themselves in chrysalises to complete their startling transformation into beautiful, colorful masterpieces. When they first break out of their chrysalises their wings are all folded up and they have to pump fluid through the wings to inflate them so to speak, this was very messy. The Butterflies that I had were Vanessa cardui (Painted Ladies). When my great niece and I released them they had a hard time getting going but once in the air they were the most magnificent creatures I have ever seen.
As I thought about it, that is how my walk with God has been. At first my faith was a tiny seed of a thing. After my years of drug use it was hard to think clearly for very long, but then I got a hunger and thirst for God's word and started to devour it. It is so easy to wrap ourselves in chrysalises and just hang out and heal, but then comes the time when we have to start to break out and we need to get our wings inflated. This too can be very messy. Many times I have thought that I can not continue on in this quest that has become so important to me. Then I remember the blood that was shed for me by my Jesus so that He could see me become the beautiful colorful creature that the Father intended me to be. The only difference between me and the beautiful Painted Lady is that my flight will not end I will soar for eternity with my three true loves The Father, His Son Jesus Christ and the Comforter the Holy Spirit. Thank you Lord for your persistence in my life.

No comments: